The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services has announced a target date for implementation of the long-delayed Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010 (ONCA).
According to the Ministry's website:
· upgrading our technology to support these changes and improve service delivery
· working to bring ONCA into force as early as possible, with a target of early 2020. This gives not-for-profit corporations at least 24 months' notice before ONCA comes into force.
We will give not-for-profit corporations:
· further details closer to when ONCA omes into force
· a three-year transition period once ONCA is in force to make any necessary changes to their governing documents
· help to support a smooth implementation
Not a target date exactly, but at least a target year. Generally, Ontario legislation is proclaimed in force on either January 1 or July 1.
The proclamation in force of ONCA in 2020 will be just in time. ONCA received Royal Assent on October 25, 2010. If it were not proclaimed before the end of 2020, it would be repealed effective December 31, 2020 by section 10.1(2) of the Legislation Act, 2006.
The long wait continues, but at last the finish line is in sight.